The Burgate School & Sixth Form Centre
:

Top menu

Main Menu

Dance

 

Dance at Burgate School and Sixth Form Centre dance show group medium

“Dance is vital, an activity both exhilarating and liberating to watch or do. The instinct to dance is fundamentally joyous and no matter how hard you try you can’t get away from that for long. It can also be a huge force for good, effectively drawing people together and levelling everyone through sheer hard work. It can speed up your heart rate, it can enliven your being it can change your life”.
Richard Alston CBE

Dance uses movement symbolically and is both empowering and powerful as a form of non-verbal communication. It encourages the development of creative, imaginative, physical, emotional and intellectual capacities. As such dance can play an important role in young people’s lives.

Students at the Burgate School and Sixth Form Centre participate in dance as a compulsory aspect of the Key Stage 3 Physical Education curriculum. Dance at Key Stage 4 and 5 is treated as a discrete subject and students can opt to study Dance at GCSE and AS/A2 level. An annual dance showcase provides performance opportunities and the well supported extra- curricular clubs encourage involvement, irrespective of experience.

We are very fortunate to have a new purpose built dance studio which provides an excellent learning environment. Students very much appreciate and take pride in this facility.

Lower School Dance : Key Stage 3

In Years 7 and 8 dance is taught in mixed ability/gender teaching groups, through a creative, thematic approach, which encourages students to develop their own choreography and performance skills. They are given opportunities to work as individuals and undertake group composition tasks. Students also learn to critically appraise their own work and that of others.

Upper School Dance: GCSE

dancers in dance studioDance at GCSE level is a new and developing subject. Our first group of Year 11 students achieved excellent results with an A*- C pass rate of 85%.

In Dance, students are required to develop their ability to critically appraise performance. They will study at least two professional dance works in depth and sit a 1 hour written paper (20% of the total marks)

Students are required to perform one solo dance of approximately 1-1.5 min from a choice of two set by the examination board (20%). Students perform in a duo/group dance related to a set professional work (20% of the total marks). The remaining 40% of the marks are allocated to choreography in the form of a solo composition task and an additional solo, or group dance.

As performers, students develop confidence and self esteem. They develop self and body awareness as well as sensitivity to others and team working skills. Effective performance requires physical effort and the determination to succeed and improve.

Sixth Form: AS/A2 Dance

dancers in dance studio2The AQA specification for dance provides students with the opportunity to acquire experience of performance and choreography and to engage in critical thinking about dance. The content allows candidates to study a subject which can be extended through higher education and promotes a healthy lifestyle through an awareness of the importance of exercise and training. For the Advanced Subsidiary the focus is on:

  • Solo choreography
  • Performance of own choreography
  • Performance within a duo/trio
  • Training, technique, health and safety of the dancer
  • Analysis of choreography and performance within a professional repertoire

For the Advanced level award, students have the opportunity to develop skills and extend and apply knowledge gained at Advanced Subsidiary level. The focus is on:

  • Group choreography
  • Knowledge and understanding of a specific area of study related to the development of one of the following: modern dance, ballet, jazz dance
  • Performance skills related to one of the specific areas of study
  • Training , technique ,health and safety of the dancer
  • The analytical study of one set work and its culture and artistic content